This is how I record my Native American flutes now. Simple, from the heart, and in sync.
The Gear I Use:
Yamaha keyboard as controller, Logic Pro on Mac, a good condenser mic for flute, headphones, my growing collection of flutes (12+ now), frame drum/djembe, steel tongue drum, guitalele, and my phone for optional video. All tuned to A = 432Hz — the natural frequency.
STEP 1: Set the drum to keep a pulse
I start with rhythm, not melody. Traditional was only ever flute, rattle and drum. So I set a djembe or frame drum pattern in Logic — Pop Rock Drummer or just a simple hand drum loop — at 60 BPM.
60 BPM is one beat per second — heartbeat tempo. It keeps everything steady and peaceful. No rush. This pulse is the earth, the foundation.
STEP 2: Set the countdown intro
In Logic Pro, I turn on the 4-beat countdown — 1 • 2 • 3 • 4.
I need those 4 clicks before I play. It lets my breath settle, and my heart get in time with the drum. I hit record, hear the count, and then I am ready.
STEP 3: Improvise from the heart
This is the important one. I do not read music for this. I pray, breathe, and play what is in my heart.
I play in Am (A minor) — my favourite for Native flute — at 432Hz. I have my headphones on so I can hear the drum pulse, but the melody is pure improvisation. No second takes to make it perfect — the first breath is often the most honest. This is making melody to the Lord — Ephesians 5:19.
STEP 4: Add drones and other backing
After the flute is down, I build the nest around it.
I add: Keyboard Player - Broken Chords — soft pad drone
Romance Strings — long, slow strings that answer the flute
Steel tongue drum or guitalele — for sparkle on top
I keep it simple. The flute is the voice; everything else is just the air it floats on.
STEP 5: Optionally record a video too (iMovie)
Sometimes I film myself at the same time on my phone (vertical for YouTube Shorts).
I import the phone video into Apple iMovie — I make a simple movie, no fancy editing. Just trim the start and end, add a title like "Am 432Hz Native Flute - 60 BPM" and I keep the original phone audio as a guide.
STEP 6: Sync it up — Metronome + Finger Click Trick
This is how I line up Logic audio with iMovie video:Same metronome in ear and in Logic. I put a 60 BPM metronome in my earbuds (same as Logic's 60 BPM) so my body stays on the same pulse even if I am filming.
Click your fingers to mark the beginning and end. Before I start playing, and after I finish, I do a loud finger click/clap right in front of the camera/mic.
That click makes a sharp spike in the waveform — you can see it clearly in Logic and in iMovie.
I line up the two spike waveforms — one from Logic, one from iMovie — and they are perfectly in sync. Just like a Hollywood clapperboard, but with my fingers.
Then I mute the phone audio and use the beautiful Logic Pro audio over the video. Export from iMovie, and it is ready for YouTube and the blogs.
Final thought: Drum is pulse, countdown is preparation, heart is source, backing is atmosphere, video is witness, finger-click is anchor. Keep it simple. Keep it worship.
DNS copyright © 2026 — David Nicholas Slater — Musical Artizan & Kingdom Poetry
No comments:
Post a Comment